‘Celebrating Eighty years on – a gift remembered’
In a special final assembly for 2016 on Wednesday 30 November, the College welcomed back the Millner family for a re-dedication of the Millner Gates and Memorial Drive. The gates and the drive were opened 80 years ago in 1936.
Robert Millner (ON 1968) officially unveiled the plinth that will sit alongside the Millner Gates – the first six of the adjacent stone wall panels and the Memorial Drive, that were all donated by his grandfather Colonel Tom Millner (ON 1903) and were named in memory of Tom’s father, William James Millner.
Rob Millner was a Newington Boarder from the age of 8 and his qualities as a leader and school citizen emerged while he was still at Wyvern House. During his time at Stanmore, he was the Captain of the 1st XI and played in the 1st XV. He was also appointed Prefect in his final year.
Since leaving Newington, Rob Millner has built a successful career as a corporate executive, notably as Chairman of Washington H. Soul Pattinson and Brickworks Limited.
During the Assembly, Council Chairman Tony McDonald (ON 1976) joined with Rob to pay tribute to his aunt Mrs Jean Millner, who recently passed away. During our Sesquicentenary year, Jean generously endowed the Jim Millner (ON 1937) Bursary – giving a boy the opportunity to attend the College from Year 7 until the completion of Year 12.
Rob Millner, his sister Anni McNiven and Bruce Bagley OAM (ON 1958) had the opportunity to chat with the current Jim Millner (ON 1937) Bursary holder Simi Afeaki (10/KL) and saw what a talented young gentleman he has become with the opportunities he has been given as a recipient of this Bursary.
It was an honour and privilege for the College to welcome the Millner family back to Newington on this important occasion.